Intro and list of Noob questions - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Intro and list of Noob questions
Thursday, March 17, 2005 7:21 AM
Great site here guys. I've been lurking, searching, and surfing for about a week now. I've learned alot and have some noob questions - so please humor me.

First off, I'm VERY new to this scene. The last J body I owned was an 84 Cavalier that I had 10 years ago. For the past 6 years or so, I've been rolling nothing but 94-96 Impala's, caprices, and B-body wagons. Just last Saturday though, I sold my MUCH loved 95 Caprice Station Wagon and bought my 97 Cavalier 4dr LS on Monday. I did it for the MPG initially, but since finding this site I'm convinced that I should also be able to have alot of fun with it as well - and the best part is that it doesn't seem like it should cost me an arm and a leg. I'm going to make references to what I know as I ask questions - which is B-bodies and B-body sites - strictly as a comparison. So go easy on me as I try to learn and ask my questions about what I'm looking for on this site based on how I have learned on others.

Anyway, the car is a 2.2L automatic with OD. After driving Impala's for so long, it feels like the only thing I could beat in a street race would be a Jerry's kid on a downhill - IF I get the wholeshot! I'm fine with it though since I got the car for MPG not HP. It seems like a great little car that does what its supposed to do and does it VERY well. I'm pretty much happier with it than I thought I'd be after only 2 days - which rocks.

So here's my noob questions:

In my B-body world - it is known that there are differences in packages - like Impala suspensions are different than plain old caprice ones. I looked but couldn't find an "all in one" thread that listed what all upgrades the Z24 models got over and above the stockers, and what other stock components would be upgrades for my LS. What all upgrades can I get from the junkyards? If I don't have rear disc brakes, can I bolt some on form another car or model, etc?

Also in the B-body world, many guys remove seats from their cars and replace them with seats out of a Pontiac Bonneville since they "hug" you better with the increased side bolsters. Is there a common seat swap for our J-cars? Bonneville perhaps?

My car I just got is at 105K miles, so I plan to do a 100k mile tune up very soon that includes plugs, belt and O2 sensor. Are there any special tricks that would help the belt replacement job go easier? I plan to use good ole AC plugs. Is there a brand of O2 sensor that works better than another?

I know that a 3cyl Geo Metro and DOHC 4cyl Suzuki Swift can DOUBLE their oil filter size just by using an oil filter from a 5.0L mustang, and I'm all for that. Are there any tips and tricks like that about out J cars that I could learn and should know?

In the Impala world there is also the shade tree guys list of "cheap ass mods". Stuff like eliminating the air boxes from the intake, plugging one hole with a hockey puck, and connecting the flow where the other was removed with $3 worth of home depot PVC. They say it get you about 10hp, but mostly it lets you hear you engine better. Is there a list of cheap ass "home depot" type of mods that a guy can do to these cars as well? Instructions for home-made short/long, or hot/cold air intakes?

Any tips and tricks that would make the car a little more fun, increase acceleration as measured by the "seat-o-the-pants", and not kill MPG or budget?

I know it's alot of questions, but I'm trying to learn as much as possible as fast as I can.

Other than that, I'm into good lookin redheads with tiggo bitties, so I married one. We have 3 great kids under 4 yrs old that are all in car seats - which surprisingly DOES fit across the back seat of a Cavalier. I live in the butthole of my state - some would say the butthole of the midwest - Flint, MI. I will most likely live in Flint as long as I'm married and my wife's mother lives in Flint. Her umbilical cord was never cut and is about as long as my peter - and for length reference - I have been known to pee on my own nuts.

Thanks for helping if you can,

John

Re: Intro and list of Noob questions
Thursday, March 17, 2005 7:36 AM
That's hilarious!
Hung Like a bull hamster huh?
Your car has the ecotec motor which there are a lot of mods for. Check out ebay for some pretty inexpensive mods like exhaust, intakes, and interior mods as well. Wheels are a 5x100 bolt pattern if you're interested, and I'm not sure, but I don't think there was a difference in the suspension other than the 16" wheels. I've seen disc brake conversions, but I think they're mostly aftermarket brakes. You can do the home depot intake, but check out some of the advertisers here and ebay first. Might be cheaper and less hassle. Also, check out the classified section of this site. Lots of stuff for sale there. Welcome and have a blast.

BTW: any of those Impalas SS's

Gotta keep on livin', L-I-V-I-N
Thursday, March 17, 2005 7:53 AM
bone stock z wrote:That's hilarious!
Hung Like a bull hamster huh?
Your car has the ecotec motor which there are a lot of mods for.

Careful, I've seen LS Sports with the 2.2L OHV engine in them in 2002. From the way he describes his performance, I'd say that was the case. The Eco cars are decently fast and the 2.2 OHV cars feel like they are struggling just to get the car moving (compared to an Eco or 2.4L).

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, March 17, 2005 7:58 AM
Ecotech huh? Learnin already!!

I thought the 2,2L was different from a 2200 was WAY different from the 2.4 - and I thought the Ecotech was a different version yet - like a NEWER than 97 version of the 2.2L.

Thanks for the info. I don't really want to dive into the motor or the interior. But I figured that a breake job would be right around the bend so I might as well see what my cheap upgrade options are.

Also - WTF is up with me being logged in as "Phlint" then my frickin real name shows up as the name of who posted? NOT COOL!

Is there a way to edit/delete a post and I'm not seeing it? There - how NOOB is THAT??!!
Thursday, March 17, 2005 8:19 AM
If you look where you type the text for posting, up by where the subject is, there is your name. Next to it is a (Change Settings), click that...

http://www.j-body.org/forums/options.php?f=47&i=22755&t=22755

Or just click that link.

No, there is no way to edit or delete posts, that is on purpose.

If you want to check if you have an Ecotec, open your hood. It would say Ecotec right on the top of the motor. If all you see is a blank valve cover, then you have a 2200.

The Eco isn't a new version of the 2.2, its a completely different motor and design that isn't really related to the 2.4 or 2.2 at all. Its closest to the 2.4 though in design.

Thursday, March 17, 2005 8:20 AM
BTW, on that link I posted above, to change the name you post as, change the "Author" field. My username on here is Alastor, my real name is Ron, and I post as Shifted, how screwed up is that?

Thursday, March 17, 2005 8:33 AM
Thanks - I had already done that and changed it to Phlint Micheegun after the fact, but the initial one didn't change retroactive and I cannot delete it either.

Why is it that ya can't edit or delete? it seems like a basic necessity for those of us with fat fingers, ham fists, an 20/20 hindsight.
Thursday, March 17, 2005 8:57 AM

#1: 100 post limit for regular members could be bypassed by editing posts.

#2: You could say something completely wrong, have people argue about it, then edit your posts so you look correct.

#3: Proofread, and there is a spellcheck button if you need it.

#4: Moderators are the only ones who can delete posts, this place would become incredibly confusing if you could just delete any one of your posts that you wanted.

Dave (site owner) is working on something to get around the post editing thing, but will be awhile yet before you see anything. For now just proofread what you type, and try not to state bad information and you'll be just fine.

Thursday, March 17, 2005 10:18 AM
Who said he had an ecotec engine.
all he said was he has a 97 LS which is not the ecotec.

I have one true love in my life...And my girlfriend sits next to me in it
Thursday, March 17, 2005 10:20 AM
Yes you are right, BoneStockZ had told him he had an Eco (I even quoted it in my first post), I got a bit confused on some other things.

Thursday, March 17, 2005 10:31 AM
Ok, calm down here people. He said he has a 1997 Cavy LS with a 2.2L. Now I don't know if that is the actual "2.2L" or the "2200 SFI" but it definitely isn't an "Ecotec". The 2.2L Ecotec only started showing up in J-Bodies in 2002. If you pop the hood, and there is a big chunk of black plastic that your air intake feeds into, which says "2200 SFI" on it, then you have a 2200 engine. As for mods and all that @!#$, I'm pretty usless there, but at least you can figure out what engine you have so you don't go out looking for 2.2L Ecotec engine mods.

That cop took the whole thing way out of context. I mean, I was only going 145 Km/h in that
80 km/h zone because I was drunk and I wanted to get off the roads.

Thursday, March 17, 2005 11:23 AM
Yes. Do NOT look at Ecotec mods as they won't work for you. You've got a 2.2L OHV engine (though I don't know if it's a "2.2" or "2200"... someone else can verify that).

For all the questions... I'll take a stab at some of them.

The Z24 models have a front sway bar and an integrated rear stabilizer (sway) bar. You can get the front one from the upper model and install it but you can't get the rear unless you get the entire axle as it's integrated and not removable. No problem though... just get yourself the Eibach sway bar set and you're good to go.

Other than that, the suspensions are the same. Sadly, there has never been a rear disc option on a j-body. Check out the suspension forum for all sorts of info on upgrading.

I believe some of the older N-Body seats can bolt right into the 2nd gens but I've never heard of any such convenient swap for a 3rd gen (which is what you have). So there's really no options that don't involve some custom work.

Generally speaking, I believe the tried and true AC Delco spark plugs are in fact the best for our cars. Some will shill for other brands, but I've seen no compelling arguments for anything else being better. Some are just as acceptable, and some are worse, but I don't think any are better.

I can't help you with the other issues but a search of the maintenance forum should help out. I just don't know much about that engine.

There's not really much in the way of cheapass easy mods for that engine either. Obviously, getting rid of the stock airbox and putting a K&N cone filter in its place is a good first step but you're better off investing in a proper intake. Only a couple hundred bucks. Look through the Performance forum for what others have done.

In the end, my best advice to you is to keep reading here and get an idea of what appeals to you. Then come up with a plan. Work out what you'd like and what order you'd like to do it in and then stick to it. Save up for each step and do them as you can. Don't waste money on side projects or cheap crap just because you can afford them. Keep saving for the next stage in your plan and you'll eventually end up with what you want rather than some monstrosity that grew out of the chaos on its own.

Thursday, March 17, 2005 4:08 PM
Phlint, I apologize. For some reason, I thought it was a '04 LS sport. Must have been the 4 door or something. I think I'll shut up and let these guys direct you in the right direction. They are full of great ideas and awesome rides.

Gotta keep on livin', L-I-V-I-N
Thursday, March 17, 2005 7:39 PM
I believe they didnt start putting the 2200's in the cav till '98. Of course I might be wrong. If I am lemme know.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Friday, March 18, 2005 10:47 PM
another good mod to start out with is a crank pulley. gives you a nice power band between 3500rpm all the way to red line. you could put it on while your changin that belt check out the top of the pages of the different forums for FAQ's on topics of what forum your in

Saturday, March 19, 2005 10:27 AM
the 2200's started in sometime during 98' if the car was manu in late-mid-early 98 you could have a 2.2 or a 2200 the 2200 say 2200 on the air box if its an 2.2 it wont say anything if its an eco it will say eco if its a 2.4 ......it will say 2.4 .... its definatly not an ecotec....

good mods for the 2200 could be the pvc like your b body do an diy intake, either cai or wai wai will give you more low end and better trottle response the cai will give you better mid-high end... i like my AEM cai one... you can get a pacesetter ceramic header 4-1(more mid-top end hp-tq) from gravanatuning.com.... the pulleys are a good option also some people dont like them tho because depending on wich set you get the alt pulley is underdriven and could possible fry your alt....but if it does just put an high output one on there which we should have anyways due to our stereo systems...

http://members.cardomain.com/mattlb2200
Sunday, March 20, 2005 6:43 PM
i have a 97 ls it's the 2.2L not the 2200. as for all other questions i am a little out of the loop. i bought my intake on ebay for like 28 dollars. cheap and it looks good as far as everything else goes, i have been biten hard by teh cavalier addiction and have drop a lot more money then i have towards it so be careful and try to keep a clear head.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search