Hello from Sanford, NC! - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hello from Sanford, NC!
Sunday, April 05, 2020 2:12 PM
Hello!

My name is Jeremy. I bought an 88 Chevy Cavalier Z24 convertible. The previous owner let it set for 5 years. She told me she had been driving it and it felt like it had a clogged cat. She parked it and the husband was supposed to work on it. They had other cars and he never got around to fixing it. It sat and then I bought it.

Since I brought it home, I soaked the cylinders down and then performed a basic tune up (oil, filter, air filter, plugs and wires). It started and ran for about 10 minutes! Then shut off and wouldn't restart. I changed the fuel filter. It still didn't start. My friend came over and verified I was getting power to the fuel injectors. We had pressure on the fuel rail, but I wasn't able to verify the exact pressure.

I drained the tank of the 1/8 of gas it had in it and then replaced the fuel pump. I have tried to start it again but it's still not catching.

It turns over and almost starts but it never catches and runs. I let it set for the past week. Went out today and gave it a try to start. I started and ran for about 3 seconds.

I need suggestions! I'm at loss-

I was thinking of maybe the fuel injectors are clogged? I have a Haynes manual, a Chiltons manual and even a dealership repair book. I've looked in all three and don't see anything on replacing the fuel injectors. I must be overlooking it.... but it's not obvious in the books.

I posted in the FB group for Z24's, but I haven't gotten any response.

Re: Hello from Sanford, NC!
Sunday, April 05, 2020 2:18 PM
Tuesday, April 07, 2020 6:55 PM
You should probably check the timing on it.
I bet it is slipping.

1989 Z24 Convertible, White

Tuesday, April 07, 2020 9:28 PM
Thanks for the reply! I’ll add to the my next garage day!
Monday, April 13, 2020 5:08 AM
ugh I miss my vert.

Good luck with it

DRIVING FORCE FABRICATIONS

Thursday, April 23, 2020 8:00 AM
With only 88,xxx miles, I would not be too concerned with the timing set. Normally, they are good to up around 200,000 miles. It Could be the crankshaft position sensor though. Which can appear as if the engine has jumped timing.
As for getting to the fuel injectors, see section 6E3-C2-7 of the service manual.

If you weren't quite so far away, I'd come and give you a hand with the trouble shooting. I'm in Taylorsville.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search