GM Unveils Cobalt SS, New Products at SEMA IAS - News Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GM Unveils Cobalt SS, New Products at SEMA IAS
Thursday, April 01, 2004 1:01 PM on
General Motors made news today by unveiling a new vehicle and powerplants targeted at the sport compact market.

At GM's International Auto Salon event at the Irwindale Speedway, Chevrolet revealed the 2005 Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe to Southern California journalists. GM Performance Parts will continue to build on the Ecotec four-cylinder family's performance portfolio by announcing a supercharger kit designed for 2003 and new models of the Chevrolet Cavalier and Pontiac Sunfire.

Additionally, GM's Ecotec supercharged create engine, which was unveiled late last year, is now ready to order and expected to be available in June. GM Performance Parts also expands its offerings with the Xtreme Tuner Body Kit, a customization option for the Chevrolet Cavalier. Updated information about the Ecotec family of engines will also be available.

For details se the SEMA IAS Preview. More event coverage will be coming this weekend.

Re: GM Unveils Cobalt SS, New Products at SEMA IAS
Thursday, April 01, 2004 3:18 PM on
Dave wrote: supercharger kit designed for 2003 and new models of the Chevrolet Cavalier and Pontiac Sunfire

I'm assuming this just means they're bringing out the eco SC right , not that they are coming out with new sunny's and cavy's.

And what is with this

"GM Performance Parts is continuing to expand its portfolio offering with a new customization option for the Chevy Cavalier - the Xtreme Tuner Body Kit. The kit includes front and rear fascias and side rocker panels that add the look of high-level performance for 2003-2005 Cavalier models .

Direct from Gm website: since when is there an 05 Cavy?

The xtreme cavy kit is nice , not too extreme (the comsmic irony is overwhelming)
too bad it cost so much it is urathane right?

the 2.0 crate should be good with a smaller pully , wonder what it will cost though?

For the Lazy:

New Ecotec 2.2L Supercharger Kit for Cavalier, Sunfire
The GM Performance Parts 2.2L supercharger kit is based on the Eaton M62 helical roots-type supercharger. Early estimates show the supercharger kit will deliver an 11-pound boost resulting in 175 horsepower at 5600 rpm – a 25 percent increase.

Ecotec supercharged crate engine now available
First announced at the SEMA show last fall, the Ecotec supercharged 2.0-liter crate engine for 2004 delivers an impressive 205 horsepower at 5600 rpm and 200 lb.-ft. torque at 4400 rpm.
<br>

www.drluc.ca
Sunday, April 04, 2004 4:03 PM on
I saw a write up recently from Sport Compact car about the Ion redline which has the same 2.0 SC engine...they rated it at the Wheels 197 hp and 169 torque.....

but they said the gearing in the Ion was all wrong..they only managed 0-60mph in 7.1secs...pretty disappointing

hopefully they got it wrong or that will be fixed for the cobalt SS...
Monday, April 05, 2004 8:14 AM on
Any pricing information on the Cobalt SS? How about availability, as in, is GM gonna make this a limited edition, or will it be (relatively) easy for me to get one?
Monday, April 05, 2004 6:43 PM on
gm rep said pricing wont come out till aug or sept as far as avail, i dont think its going to be a SE but it will most likely depend on where you live as to how easy they are to get.

lates
Tuesday, April 06, 2004 4:55 PM on
if i had the money id buy a cobalt <br>

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Wednesday, April 14, 2004 3:09 PM on
I talk to a dealership around my house and they said there will be some 05 cavaliers.
<br>

-------------------------------
2003 Cavalier Blue
5 Speed
140 hp 155 tq
reation .853
60 feet 2.133
18 9.995@75.77
14 15.451@90.54
----------------------------------------------------
IT'S JUST A CAVALIER TO EVERYONE UNTIL YOU GET YOUR @!#$ HANDED TO YOU BY ONE.
Thursday, April 22, 2004 4:18 PM on
no there wont be <br>

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Thursday, April 22, 2004 9:31 PM on
I went to the International auto show in Detroit. They had an awesome display of the cobalt. There will be a base model 2.2L(2 or 4 door), LS model 2.4L(2 or 4 door), and the SS model 2.0L supercharged. The SS is supposed to have 235 hp. They are also thinking of 18 in. wheels as an option. All of them are supposed to be under 20K. They will be available in september. <br>

check us out www.cargodzcc.com
Friday, April 23, 2004 12:02 PM on
1ecotec2beat wrote:I talk to a dealership around my house and they said there will be some 05 cavaliers.

prob left overs and rentals cars

<br>

Thursday, April 29, 2004 8:40 PM on
You know what?.. This pisses me off. First they introduce the 2003 Cav (Which I now own) wich a funky front end. I have the LS Sport so its not nearly as bad as the other 2003's without the body kits.. but damn.. now they bring out the Cobalt SS.. with a supercharger for under 20G's. AND.. AND.. it @!#$ looks like a civic! What are they smoking? I bought and have love my last 2 cavaliers because they were different. they werent some japanese car that all look the same. Granted, the specs and stuff on the cobalt are cool.. and I might almost trade in my 2003 for a cobalt.. just for the horsepower.. but probably not. They look like @!#$ honda's. Thats not cool. GM needs to get thier @!#$ together. I remember a spread in Sport Compact Car (of which I read the recent articles about the Cobalt SS and the Saturn ION) but a couple months ago they showed a yellow turbocharged cavalier by GM themselves that had a pretty sick body kit on it. Why didnt they just run with that? I have heard that they are changing to a new name / car so that they can spark intrest. Dodge didnt do that. Dodge didnt have to.. they just made a bad @!#$ car out of the Neon which was utter crap before they got some real balls working there. I wish GM would have done that cuz.. I love my cavalier.. but I would have loved it if it came with a turbo or supercharger and some fat rims and all the good @!#$ that the Neon SRT-4's have. Im paying about $24,000 for my 2003 LS Sport right now.. thats with interest and all that @!#$. I feel now that I got jipped.. but I still love my car. I would like to fix it up. Its fast.. but it should be faster and have more horses under the hood. <br>

"There were some Luddites with some kind of PC-based, primitive [operating system], I think it's called Windows, who couldn't figure out how I got a TV on the plane." Trent Reznor referring to peoples reaction to his PowerBook G4 Titanium

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search