What things are you busy with that side track your car work - Page 4 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: What things are you busy with that side track your car work
Monday, August 11, 2014 10:58 PM
Ok details will follow with final pic and story behind it.

Monday, August 11, 2014 11:19 PM
Ok now to explain the pics.1st the driver seat was well rough and I fixed it twice with fishing line being leather.However in the pic under the old seat the adjustment rod was cracked at the weld and the seat would rock back and forth even bolted down.So I replaced it with a junkyard find for 58.00 and cleaned and greased the tracks etc.I then had a bigger issue some how water got on the passenger side floor and it was soaked bad.Not sure if it was the drain for the sunroof clogged or the cowl vent but I blew out the roof drains and the removed the cowl cleaned and repainted it with kyrlon satin black and new plastic plugs once reinstalled.I steam cleaned the carpet and cleaned the entire interior and got the floor and carpet dry with a fan and heat gun running constant for about a hour.In short did all the general checks fluids,battery,tires for psi,checked brakes removing two tires front and rear, and spare!!! then washed,wax and rain x the glass and waxed the windshield and back glass.Just making sure no problems and I did a code scan had a evap code was the gas cap loose and cleared and also replaced two front tires with firestone infinity's and I recommend getting the road hazard it pays for the tire period if a failure happens.I test drove and every thing seemed good for now.NOW my rant about my nephew.I have spent the last 4years making this car nice and doing most of the work aside from the Honda dealer fixing some bigger jobs and it was as close to brand new as I could make it when he got it!!!! The car had literally everything done new carpet,mats,all wear out items and tires etc.So my gripe is everytime I get the car it is like a joke with food under the seat like fries,trash and two cigarette burns in the carpet from his IDIOT friends.He does ZERO to learn anything about how to do things like hand washing,vacumm it out,and come over here and learn how to at least get some general ideas on car work to this day.My mil pays for all the parts and tips me for my time and from time to time my sister in law has passed some cash my way and she does say thanks for my efforts.What really irritates me is while he is just a young adult he takes no real care of the car and I guess since I have brought it back from the nasty each time working hours each time on MY FREAKING days off!!!!! I do the work bc it is done right and he has 2yrs of college left and I kind of want to meet my obligation I said to that point and then once he is done with school if he wants to keep it and continue having things done I stand tall and say YOU pay dearly for anything I do and NO cost breaks.Idk what his intentions are with the car after school is done if it makes it that long,but if he sells it trades and wants me to do anything for him on a car I am going to become rons stealership on pricing work of any kind.Rant done and he is a good kid but d-mn this annoys me a lot.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 3:19 PM
Ron I feel your PAIN!!

While I'm not as thorough as you I do like to see a vehicle taken care of and everyone else in my household is also a big ZERO as well. The two 30-somethings trash their cars too and the 30 year old man just parks his when it breaks down waiting for someone to fix the darn thing and I have told him recently I'm not going to fix it anymore - it is due inspection at the end of the month and isn't going to pass. The 32 year old woman had someone back into her car and did NOTHING because she didn't want to her the other driver's feelings???? So she drives around in it with the rear driver side door and quarter mashed in - the car stays so trashed I hate to ride in it. Same goes for my gal - I have to actually clean off the passenger seat of everything imaginable when I go to get in her 3rd Gen. Meanwhile my rides look a world different by comparison.

I guess it takes all kinds in this ole world Ron......

Sometimes it is all about tolerance!!!

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 4:49 AM
Wow Ron-

Nice to see some pics of the Honda that you mention a lot. You have really kept it up well. Sorry to hear it is not being appeciated.

I don't know guys, it seems like we have a paradigm shift on our hands. The perception is everything is disposeable, therefore, you don't need to take care of anything. Many people view our first gens as disposeable, but we have proven that with care and maintenance they will go the long haul. Simple things like cleaning up after yourself when you get out of the car only takes a minute or two but keeps things looking good. I have my older son vacuum our cars once a week so he starts to learn and appreciate. Now he asks that everyone clean things up before they get out of the family vehicles If only we would take this approach with our cites and planet...

I think every generation goes through this, but I am concerned for those that are coming next. There are not going to know how to fix anything themselves and will certainly not have the money to have someone else do it for them.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 7:19 PM
Well, I did have the 7 year old hanging tight with me today while I checked out the ABS sensors on the '94 today. He got to see me clean up the "teeth" on the axle shafts and pull and clean the pick-ups on the front sensors. Then he watched as I started the car up while on jacks (from a safe distance) and observed while I took AC voltage measurements of the outputs at the sensors. He got to watch while I spun up the rear hub with a drill and checked the voltage outputs on the rear hubs. His biggest gem of the day was watching PawPaw pull a nail and plug a tire - so he is a very early learner of what to do if you have a flat tire.
So while none of the others may care what is going on under the hood I do have one young lad that is interested and learning things. While all my labors on the '94 came to naught the 7 year old stayed by my side while in desperation I pulled the steering wheel and dash at the IC and remove the ABS bulb( I gotta get this thing inspected). He sees that a car is a collection of parts and you can turn wrenches and take things apart and more importantly put them back together again.

And ya know - even though he is just 7 sometimes he can be a very good helper too boot

So all is not lost. All we can do is be the examples that we are in this world and know somewhere - someone is watching us.

Just one little photo of the Truck today. I finally got some hardware bolted back on. At least the drivers side is looking a wee bit normal after all this time!! (That poor lil 7 year old thinks "this" is normal too...Hahaa)

Thursday, August 14, 2014 10:48 PM
Ok guys I had some serious drama Wednesday on my yard done by city's field division.I want go into each detail but,in short last year I advised the city by a phone call complaint about NOT touching my yard or my mil yard(ditch at the road) and they acknowledged this by my complaint and I did talk with a supervisor at the time and assured my this was noted to NOT be mowed ever.Now fast forward yesterday the worst thing ever happened the vid I took shows and explains the ordeal.I had two supervisors come out with in less than 2 hrs to meet me take pics and discuss the problem.I have been contacted today by a higher UP with regards to complaint and wanting to be given some type of financial restitution for my damaged property along with my mil as I maintain both.I was advised they had the cities insurance company would contact me and I will see where this goes based on the insurance adjusters decision.I personally am not looking for mega money just a little balance in the time,money spent on materials last year after my road was resurfaced and my mil/my ditch was graded and I fixed this to MY liking out of pocket.I will elaborate things more later but the video on my youtube channel says a lot for under 3 minutes.Now on the younger generation not caring for cars or learning I could ramble for hours on that so I will pause on that.I today cleaned and checked MY other nephews car a 2002 Honda civic and guess what it took me only 5 hours to check and do a full detail on his car (he is 17) and clearly takes MUCH better care of his car aside from his (my terms here idiot brother).Imagine that one who does considerably better than the other with a car.It was not super clean but the interior was dirty but not obsurd like his brother 98 accord.I am considering a a ultimatium to the nephews mother about the accord and just thinking about how I will address that as I am beyond (TIRED) of busting my --s for this careless young adult in college.

Friday, August 15, 2014 8:15 AM
Ron Love wrote: Ok guys I had some serious drama Wednesday on my yard done by city's field division.I want go into each detail but,in short last year I advised the city by a phone call complaint about NOT touching my yard or my mil yard(ditch at the road) and they acknowledged this by my complaint and I did talk with a supervisor at the time and assured my this was noted to NOT be mowed ever.Now fast forward yesterday the worst thing ever happened the vid I took shows and explains the ordeal.I had two supervisors come out with in less than 2 hrs to meet me take pics and discuss the problem.I have been contacted today by a higher UP with regards to complaint and wanting to be given some type of financial restitution for my damaged property along with my mil as I maintain both.I was advised they had the cities insurance company would contact me and I will see where this goes based on the insurance adjusters decision.I personally am not looking for mega money just a little balance in the time,money spent on materials last year after my road was resurfaced and my mil/my ditch was graded and I fixed this to MY liking out of pocket.I will elaborate things more later but the video on my youtube channel says a lot for under 3 minutes.Now on the younger generation not caring for cars or learning I could ramble for hours on that so I will pause on that.

did they mow anybody else's or just your's and your MIL? If not then I'm guessing some nut called and complained about the grass being to tall.
Toledo wants people to plant native tall grasses to cut down on water use but when people do they come out and mow it to shreds lol. On the local news a few years ago they showed this one guy had a beautiful front garden planted with a bunch of native grass and wild flowers then the city came and destroyed it saying his yard was a nuisance. Guy never seen a dime out of them and complained to the local news. Good luck with Greensboro Ron.

Friday, August 15, 2014 7:48 PM
That chop job looks terrible Ron - and I noticed it was only that one section in your video......WIERD

Well the last job I had to do on the Sedan was installing a set of clear composites - picked up a pair at Pick N Save off of a Coupe - didn't check the year and wouldn't ya know the bulbs wouldn't fit in these and I forgot to grab one of the locking rings ....so it was back to Pick N Save for the missing pieces to this puzzle. GM? Why do you re-design stuff so much???

Finally got them on and it is amazing how much difference a shiny pair of composites can make....

Now those that know me ....well....you know. Just an excuse to pick up those Z Alloys I had spotted while I happened to be in the neighbourhood? Yeah, that's my story....I'll stick to that. They fit well in the back of the Sedan didn't they? This thing is almost as handy as the Wagon. I think I can figure out which were on the front and which were on the back. I know, these aren't the prettiest Alloys GM ever made but they are getting hard to find and there isn't too many 14" alloys to choose from - something I discovered.....

And in the end....SUCCESS new inspection for the Sedan.....and that ends my bit "O J-drama

You don't reckon someone will try printing this off on a printer and taping it to their windshield do you? Hahaa......

Friday, August 15, 2014 10:00 PM
Orlen glad you got the inspection done and the ranger looks pretty good as well.I was kind high wired after weds demise of my front ditch and just had a lot to say.Spike as for the grass deal I had placed a call one year ago to the field division and advised the addresses NOT to mow as I do mow every week like clockwork.Now the city does have a policy about grass but they soley mow non residential areas along a roadway and take care of nuisance areas only if they get calls.Even both supervisors who came out wed said they did recall my request and that my yard was marked as (not to mow) along with my mil.They were just as stunned about my yard be damaged and very apologetic and they could clearly see I maintain my yards appearance.I have been since contacted by the city and they referred my issue to the cities insurance adjuster to make some type of financial restitution to well say hey were sorry and were going to try and make this right! I talked to the insurance adjuster today and they are going to reimburse me the amount of cost I feel will it require to bring back my grass to it's original condition.In short I am going to have to buy some miracle grow grass feed and apply like every two weeks or so over say a two or three month period and water and I have the cost exact as I already bought some wed nite.This will cover my cost to fix and or band aid my yard and I have to call back Monday with the amount for them to get the cost paid to me via a check.I feel the city is doing right by this and I feel confident I will satisfy me and end of dilemma.It is not so much me winning $ but to make a wrong/right as they clearly goofed as they knew not to touch my yards and mistakes happen.

Saturday, August 23, 2014 10:22 PM
[/URL[URL=http://s1088.photobucket.com/user/1987oldschoolmaz/media/DSC01352_zps42362416.jpg.html]] Ok next post I will explain the pics and it is a 2002 Honda accord coupe

Saturday, August 23, 2014 10:36 PM
Ok I took on this side project for a friend to fix up and or address anything this car needs for I think his niece(or some family relation).First the engine was cakeddddd in oil and on everything even the under side of the hood.I removed the cowl to clear out the drains,and repaint the cowl with primer and kyrlon satin black for that OEM look and the wiper arms and nuts too.I had to replace the battery it was toast under my checks via my meter and load tested at auto zone(good call as it was the 1st thing I checked).I replaced both battery cables,replaced the valve cover gasket and grommets for the bolts,new ngk plugs,bosch wires,new pvc and new wiper line from the bottle to the hood sprayers.Degreased the engine bay with both front wheels off as to check the brakes(toast) soon to be done,cv joints ok,but a busted sway bar link as seen here after I removed it to get it out.It had a busted front motor mount and the pic is exactly what happened when I took the center bolt out from the mount.It now has new wipers rain x expert fit the nice rubber covered one's for 15.47 each at walmart.I polished out both headlights and I want to go back over them for my personal satisfaction later.The cabin air fliter I think might be if not the original more than several years old and filthy as you see.In short cost to fix said items in parts a touch over $300.00 and worked on the car about 11-12 hrs total just on these items and my net tax free labor cost money in my pocket for my hard work $230.00 a real bargain for the owner but for me cake money.Owner paid up front cost of parts and I have more to do on this car as I am focused on getting the mechanical stuff right then the pretty factor as time permits.I sweat my arse off thurs nite and Friday wrapping this job up and total clean out of my garage with stuff moved out,blew out with my blower and pressure washed entire floor with Lysol.So garage is clean and I made a 2002 accord coupe a touch better and tax free cash in my pocket!!! Unlike my family who seems to get the ultra discount in there minds?I told my wife yesterday her sister needs to start paying for my labor when I do her sons cars as any shop would rob them blind over my prices.Busy I have been to maybe buy a nice air compressed brake bleeder I want to get for about 100.00 or more.

Sunday, August 24, 2014 5:50 AM
Nice way to make some side money to upgrade the contents of your "tool cabinet" , Ron - and doing something you enjoy too boot!

Last time I endeavoured to be a little ambitious it cost me - instead of the "customer" Many a year ago I replaced a water pump on a then not so old Mustang II and the owner had run the car HOT. Upon removing the upper rad-hose the fitting snapped off the radiator from being run so hot the solder had thinned out - customer immediately blamed me for the damage and it wound up costing me a days work , $50 ( had to take the radiator to the shop to be repaired) , and also felt obligated to feed this woman and her child since I had to take all day waiting to get the radiator back.

NEVER again. Business Man I am NOT and KNOW it! Hahaa.

Too many people looking for a freebie out there and know how to get it!!.........

On a more related note - Ron , I have watched your posts and noted that these wonderful - "ultra reliable" Japanese-mobiles are just as much a PIA as anything else out there. There are tons of worn out examples all over the place that people are passing off as cheap easy reliable transportation - I'm not buying it .....or them hahaa! I'll never get used to Honda's Drivetrains mounted "Backwards" Just looks wierd to me.

Sunday, August 24, 2014 7:35 AM
If it's so cheap and reliable, they wouldn't be selling it.
Sunday, August 24, 2014 10:15 PM
Idk Honda's are pretty solid even when things horribly wrong I do get it right and or a send to a my local Honda dealer IF the job is a touch out of my perimeter or TIME! Now today's NOT so FUN text message I get from my wife.She goes 1 mile up the road to get fuel and when she goes to leave car want even crank?(battery was just replaced 7-11-14) and was five years old.The car in the last six months had this nagging slow crank but, not like a starter solenoid sticking or dead spots.I repeatedly would charge the battery(the old one) over nite and it would be fine for a while.SO finally in july car seriously hesistated to even start with me in the car with the wife.At that point we went straight to auto zone for a new battery,and it failed but hey 5yrs ok.So lately again the slow cranks and I just shrugged it off.Now fast forward I get home load up my battery charger and 100 ft extension cord as the store has outside outlets and did try jump starting with my yota(no go).Btw she did have a guy try jumping the battery but it was toooo weak to do a full rotation.I finally put my sears charger on the 125 amp crank setting a two minutes wha laaa car cranks no problem!!!! I feel very certain the alternator is failing in the regulator area as it clearly some days had a solid starts,others slow so I yanked it out in 20 mins tonight after we got it home.So Monday the wife is OFF work so she is taking the old alternator (the orig) btw to get it bench tested and I know it will fail with the non intermittent charging problem.So after a 530 mile day and getting back and getting the wifes car home (good thing) I am so tired,and just glad it happened that way and close to home.New alternator cost $174.99 plus a 10.00 core charge.I had to remove the ps pump up 3 bolts to get the alter out,but no big deal and it is up front so easy access.I will keep you guys posted.My charge to get the wifes car home,and stuff(FREEEEEE) I would not charge my own spouse.Anyone else idk $1500.00 just for my pain.Ha ha not really.

Monday, August 25, 2014 8:16 AM
Wish you lived up here Ron, would have you a lot of work for you with the family's rides especially my dad's. Dumb hick shadetree "mechanic", and I use the term loosely, he takes his Saturn to just makes it run worse but my dad keeps taking it back to him because he charges him pennies on the dollar. This last time he worked on it he even forgot to tighten all the lugs on the wheels and Saturn Sl1's only have 4 lugnuts per wheel so you can imagine how unsafe it was too drive. To top it off the guy forgot to close one of the doors before he jacked my dad's car up and shattered the rear window and passed the bill from the auto glass place onto my dad even though it was his @!#$ up.

Monday, August 25, 2014 10:01 PM
That does not sound like a genuine decent remotely possible mechanic imo.Update the alternator checked out OK.So that is good but,after some mild research on my Iphone today found out this year accord and maybe some 03's have a similar querky start problem unknown to Honda shops but,it is something goofy.I will put the wifes car back together wed when I am off and double check and clean all the positive cables(even tho they are clean?) and check the starter connection and I am doing a mild tune up with new plugs and coil packs I have had for a good month.I have a idea or two on the irratic problem but,won't go into my trials and or process just yet.Long day so shorty.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:15 AM
I would try new battery bolts (not from Autozone, those are crap compared to NAPA, yeah, AZ even figured out a way to make a bolt crappy).

I had this problem with a 97 Grand Am, changed the defective negative battery bolt and all was well after that.
Wednesday, August 27, 2014 6:14 PM
Work has continued on the 1st Gen Ranger.

Front is done except for the grill which will probably become a winter project upstairs. Drivers side is done except for the 2 stripes - hope to tackle them next week. Passenger side - working on last 2 color coats on lower belt and it will then be the same as drivers side - will finish the next 2 evenings after work. Still yet have to tackle the tailgate, rear bumper and swing away tire carrier. Hopefully will get this thing done BEFORE I retire!!

Oh yes - remembered I had an old Fox Body hood scoop laying around upstairs and after all these years finally decided to put it to some use. Have it all primered up ready for color coat.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 10:09 PM
Well seems you have a task to take care of there orlen.Just the time to prep and clean and go thru all those steps now that I can relate too!! I today tackled the wifes car with that crazy slow start that is intermittent.I reinstalled the cleaned up alternator with TRUE electrical cleaner and the original alternator passed the bench test btw.I then replaced the now 102k old plugs and coil packs with ngk and denso parts I have had for over a month and a half.I removed the battery as it has charged for two full days and replaced the ground cable with a 4 gauge temp to swap for a standared big terminal and have 2 grounds from the battery.One on the battery was solely to the fender and that was it.After researching and had thoughts in my head wondering why only 1 ground from the battery??? My cav,old mazda and both nephews cars have 2 grounds from the battery fender then another to the block themselves.Now after my checking the Honda accord for 04 with the 2.4 (4 clydr) has only one ground and while the say year v6 has two and problems with this everyone on various sites,and odd ones say add another ground to fix the problem.I was thinking this before my research and this kind of reaffirmed what I had planned to try and solve this permant.Wayne I already was planning new ground cable to the post of the battery from napa and a additional cable attached to the studs thread to the block for a solid ground.The general thoughts with all the electrical stuff this car has and only ONE puinny grd to the fender (really) I feel this should correct my wifes cars issue.On a fun note I spent about 80.00 at sears for some NEW tools a 3/8 breaker bar,3/8 quick release rachet with the pivot head kind of like a swivel deal,and a 3/8 clicker style micro tork wrench.It will do 25-250 inch lbs in 1 inch lbs increments.This torque wrench is about 14.5 inches long as I needed a shorty as my other ones are too long for confined spots.The torque wrench was on sale for 39.00 and reduced from 79.99!!! nice

Thursday, August 28, 2014 8:37 AM
Ron Love wrote:On a fun note I spent about 80.00 at sears for some NEW tools a 3/8 breaker bar,3/8 quick release rachet with the pivot head kind of like a swivel deal,and a 3/8 clicker style micro tork wrench.It will do 25-250 inch lbs in 1 inch lbs increments.This torque wrench is about 14.5 inches long as I needed a shorty as my other ones are too long for confined spots.The torque wrench was on sale for 39.00 and reduced from 79.99!!! nice

Sad state that Craftsman is in now a days. Not many of their tools are Made in USA anymore also seems quality has dropped off big time as I've read and heard a lot of complaints about the new foreign craftsman tools breaking with light use.

Kind of odd your wife's car only has 1 ground, most cars I've been under the hood of have at least 2.

Friday, August 29, 2014 9:29 PM
Well I have seemed to have maybe made the car happy with my temp heavy single ground wire.I have the new mods to add a second ground next week.I am using my new tablet tonight as a new tool for around the house.It is a apex brand from office depot for 70.00 and our home computer is in the shop for a problem.At least I can surf the net and not off linen for days.

Monday, September 01, 2014 8:15 PM
.............I Sweated BULLETS mounting this thing yesterday evening!

All 5 holes were drilled correctly and I didn't even have to oversize them to get the "fit". How I accomplished this - I just really don't know, but I'm not "THAT" good.

Had to get this thing out of the garage for a little bit today. It was simply filthy from the dust and sanding - I gotta say it was the most enjoyable bath I ever gave this old Truck.

The back end - last part to be tackled other than the stripes....

Monday, September 01, 2014 10:06 PM
Looks good orlen.I hope you do not get the hopes up that the added performance scoop adds like 100hp while driving!!(yeah my humor).The main thing is your protecting your ride and at a low cost no matter the products used.I can appreciate the shear time and devotion it took to do it.Hard work is just that hard.R

Tuesday, September 02, 2014 12:58 PM
Ron, you should know that scoop won't add any power without the chrome trim...

I was mostly wondering how it would look with the seam in the middle of the hood; looking good!
Tuesday, September 02, 2014 6:33 PM
I had some wonderful dry - hot sun shining weather today and simply decided to start painting the grill on the Ranger before my little vacation is all over and back to work.

I remembered I had a few of the paint power packs I had bought from Napa and thought to "give it a try" - guess I was in the What the Hell mode ....Hahaa!

I ran the enamel though a strainer and mixed 50/50 with acetone (I just guessed at the ratio - this paint is thick) . I shot it right out in the sunshine and the quick drying acetone worked qreat!!

Had the grill double primered in no time and already have the center of the grill in my usual white. Will finish it up tomorrow with the surrounding area in purple. I'll post a photo or 2 after I get it back on the truck.

So for anyone interested this stuff works very well sprayed - and still cheap cheap cheap!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search